Thursday, June 12, 2008

Too long ...see below:

“Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... in Africa, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.” – African Philosophy Andy Skin







This is a great saying. I recommend reading it first thing in the morning to get you going.

Of course it has more relevance now as petrol gets more and more expensive. Today there will be yet another interest rate increase which will impact on everyones financial planning. Car sales are as low as they have been in 20 years. When I am cruising about Cape Town on Fabrizio - my 1966 Vespa, I notice the odd nod of approval. Sometimes I can almost hear the driver in the car next to me as his brain ticks over and he decides, that a scooter is certainly something to look at. Ha! A complete turnaround to those smirks I have been at the receiving end on for the last 5 years. People used to turn their noses up at me as I ramped the pavement, turned purposefully down a one way or popped under the trailer of a large truck to overtake a crawling taxi in rush hour down lower main road. Now it's all seen as the new new thing and the scooter guys can't get enough of the two wheelers into the country.

Some friends have even started a car pool to work! In Cape Town! Unheard of I tell you. Alternative means of transport are being sort after all over the world. If you are in Africa don't be surprised if you see a runner or two passing you as they take head to the wise words above and as the sun rises start running - to work.




1 comment:

Janine / Being Brazen said...

lol...

With the petrol prices we are all acting a little mad...I mean, Cape Town carpools..ha ha ha...

Happy vespa driving