Wednesday, April 16, 2008

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it ... Bert Einstein

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it ... Bert Einstein

If I think back to some of those ideas that were originally regarded as absurd, it gives me hope for some thoughts that I have swimming in my head. The obvious one's are things like: the guy who first said the earth was round when all the world new it was flat, or the dude who decided the sun does not revolve around the earth and was nearly executed for it.
What about the inspired individual who first decided to dip a biscuit in his tea though! Genius I say. And the first person to look at a sheep and announce he was going to stick its woolly coat in his slippers. Surely they went through vast amounts of ridicule. One wonders how they handled this pressure from the doubters all about them. I can assure you that in 1988 while watching Commando, if my buddy had mentioned Arnie Schwarzenegger would be Governor of California at any time in my existence I would have spilled my slush puppy over him in a fit of laughter.

So, tell me what you think about my swimmers. A portable toilet. Not like the cesspits the poor builders have to use. I mean something you can sling over your shoulder. Sounds bizarre, but just wait, someone will be hailed a genius over this one … I have never had a girlfriend that can hold it in. Everyone will want one. Don’t think there were pooper scooper's for dogs around in the 1700’s but those are now considered kosher right? Exactly. What about sneaky disguise like face masks? Only this one is your face, just better, and you wear it all the time. A step up from a wig say. In fact a wig-mask combo would clearly be a big hit for the ugly baldies. Eternal youth is probably the most elusive target out there. Absurd? I reckon I could be too late on this one. Jessica Simpson must wear a mask – no human face is really that perfect.

Post script: Chris Columbus was one of the first to postulate the Roundness of the earth, Nic Copernicus the geeza whose head they wanted chop off about the sun/earth issue. Not sure about the first to dunk a biscuit but I thank him for it and Woolies rusks.

No comments: